Fashion

Interiors

Staff Picks

Wednesday, May 13, 2015



Soooo....I usually don't do this, I don't like writing about myself but Kellie has been asking me to do this for a while now and I do want to share my experience with you all, especially since Kellie's Consignments helped me achieve it.

This past spring semester I had the opportunity to intern with Cosmopolitan for Latinas in New York City. After working hard at school and working hard to gain experience and build my resume, I applied to Cosmo's internship program for the third time, after already been rejected twice in the past - however this time, it was different. I still sent them constant emails to not forget about me and had to be consistent with them. They would respond every few months telling me they still not had made a decision. The end of my Fall semester approached, as did finals week. At this point, I had begun to give up on my dream of interning at my dream magazine in the big apple and I began preparing to go home for Christmas break. The week before I went home I got an email from one of the editors at Cosmo asking if I had time for a phone interview. I, extremely excited, of course said yes. She interviewed me the next day and offered me the internship on the spot - I literally could not believe it.

So I interned with Cosmopolitan for Latinas during the months of January, February and March of this past spring. While here, I got to see and learn how the magazine industry works. I learned how to write and edit for magazines, how to pages together, how to do research, how to brainstorm in groups, how to pitch ideas for a certain audience and how to work in a fast-paced and competitive environment, all while in heels :) I got to attend a lot of events and met a lot of great people and a few celebrities, which was crazy. I was on the Today Show and I got to attend the Pamela Rolland fashion show at Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week - this was the biggest highlight of my internship; never could I have imagined getting to attend Fashion Week in New York City.  I was also in charge of organizing the beauty and magazine closet in the office, and on the last day of my internship the beauty editor told me I could go in the closet and pick out make-up I wanted. That day I left with new Dior, NARS and M.A.C. makeup, just to name a few.

My supervisor at the magazine told me that when reviewing applications for the position, this blog that I write for Kellie's Consignments helped set me apart from the rest of the applicants. It demonstrated my writing abilities and my knowledge and love of fashion. If I had not interned as a blog writer and social media intern at Kellie's the previous summer, I might have never gotten this great opportunity. It is amazing to see myself grow as a professional and chase my career goals and see my work now published in the newest issue of Cosmopolitan for Latinas. Thank you Kellie's! I love working here and writing this blog! <3

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment